Influenced by 3 different turnip soup recipes, I combined a few selected steps from each to create this. This was the first time to try this one and I believe it went over quite well.
- 2 turnips – Grated
- 1 celery Stalk – Diced
- 1/4 small onion – Diced
- 1 Cup chicken stock
- 4 Tsps. butter or margarine
- 1/2 Leftover, Refrigerated, Baked potato – Peeled & Diced
- 1 Cup water (Adjust For Desired Texture)
- 1/2 Cup milk or Cream
- 1/2 Cup V8 or tomato juice (I Prefer V8, Clamato Is Good Too)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Dash thyme
- 2 Dashes parsley
- 1 Dash garlic salt
- 1 Dash cracked black pepper
- 1/2 Can turnip Greens – Drained
- 1 Stalk green onion (Garnish)
- 1 Dollop sour cream (Garnish)
Saute turnips, celery, onion, stock, butter and potato for 20 to 30 minutes.
Add water, milk, tomato juice, greens, bay leaf, thyme,salt, pepper and allow to simmer on low for about an hour.
Sprinkle parsley over the soup.
Prior to serving top each serving with sour cream and green onion.