With summer fast approaching, here is a great chilled soup idea from the Andalusian region of Spain.
- 2 lbs ripe juicy tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 an onion, white type not sweet
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 1 cucumber, about 6-7 inches long
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 piece French bread (3-4 inches long piece)
Rinse tomatoes, remove stems.
Peel garlic clove.
Peel onion, chop into 3 or 4 pieces.
Rinse pepper, remove seeds, chop coarsely.
Peel all green skin from cucumber.
Place bread in bowl of water and allow to soak. Once soaked, squeeze water from the bread and set aside.
In a blender or food processor, insert tomatoes, garlic, onion, pepper, cucumber, squeezed bread. Add remaining ingredients and puree. Pour into a jar or bowl and allow to chill in the refridgerator.
Ladle into soup bowl and serve.
Check cucumber before adding, do not use if sour.
Keeps well in refridgerator for one week.